February 1, 2009

Taking shots


A Russian photographer took this in the President's Square of Quito when we weren't looking, and then walked over and asked if he could email it to us later. We watched him work for a few minutes. He was wearing brown and he moved very slowly to get different shots of people. He blended in quite well, but still, people noticed him.

I think that's why I'd prefer to be a writer than a photographer. To be a photographer, you have to wear the technology around your neck. Everyone knows what you are doing. To be a writer, you just have to have a memory. I could sit down and write an article about the quiet protest that was going on behind us, or a short story about the woman selling gum next to the fountain, and no one from that day would remember me taking the mental shots required to do it. Writers are sneaky in that way, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely my biggest struggle as a photographer, and for most, Im sure. The ideal photographer would be a sociopath, I'm sure. Or just some socially-oblivious art history major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even recognize you in that photo - love the hair!

    Um, so I apparently started a blog for 3 days in August, then promptly forgot about it until I accidentally signed in now.

    I guess I am re-inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to be a photographer because i have the memory of a old ant.

    ReplyDelete

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.