February 14, 2009

The Queen


Las Fiestas de Galapagos
have begun! A week of parties, parades, fireworks, and competitions to celebrate living here. Integral to Las Fiestas are las candidatas, the girls trying out to be queen. They all come from different neighbourhoods and some even fly in from the mainland. I know a former queen, the beautiful Belen, and she spent last week preparing them for their performances. So far, the girls have tossed candy off parade floats and balanced on power boats for photo shoots, but I'm anticipating much more--singing, dancing, and perhaps even a bathing suit competition. 

I ran into this group on the way to the beach, where today's festivities are being held. There was a kayak race in the morning, there's a concert starting right now, and I assume there will be something in town tonight.

The queen's crowning will probably be on Wednesday, if I've got my fiesta schedule right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.