October 10, 2009

"You're such an expat!"


Yeah, Mom, I know. But to be fair, Fatima only comes once a week, and it's not like she's making my bed. She just does the laundry. And the floors. And if my bed happens to be un-made when she comes...just kidding. Plus, she forces me to speak French. Know how to say underwear in French? "Culottes."

The funniest thing about Fatima is that she forgets who speaks which language. Sometimes she tries Arabic with me or she explains her schedule to Alaina in French. Sometimes she mixes the two and confuses us both simultaneously.

I am grateful in these moments to have Alaina, my new but dear roomie and colleague. Alaina speaks Spanish, Japanese, and Arabic. When we're not eating chocolate pudding, we're talking about language. She blogs, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.