April 28, 2009

montar vs. mostrar


I forgot to share this little gem of embarrassment with you. It's the first day with my morning Level One'ers. I announce the break. Valeria asks where the bathroom is. To show the class I am bilingual-savvy, I answer in Spanish.

Está por allá. Si quieres, puedo te montar.

It's over there. If you want, I can mount you.

Niiiice.
 
montar (to mount) vs. mostrar (to show)

The whole class just looks at me in a suspension of tongues until I realize what I've said. And then blushing. And then laughter. If you're on board with making a fool of yourself, then these experiences are the best teachers of all. Five years from now, I will be as confident about these two verbs as I am now. Gidyup!

(Image via NC-4H)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.