April 30, 2009

A thought on happiness


Coleridge said,
"Happiness is just a dog sunning itself on a rock. We're not put on this earth to be happy. We're here to experience great things."
I've been sunning myself for a few months now and I think he's right. I'm happy (see photo), no doubt about it, but I'm very far from the inspired feeling I had when I was close to the source of something great--the feeling I had when I was traveling and penniless students in Romania gave up their bed so that Tyler and I could sleep, and when I first started tutoring in Saudi and learning about family life behind those massive walls and multiple doors. 

Learning Spanish is excellent. Learning about the culture here...well, there is no "native" Galapagos culture. People started moving here from the mainland 50 years ago to sell sea cucumbers to the Japanese and boat cruises to the Europeans. The culture that is here--from what I've gathered from my language partners and local friends--involves weak Catholicism, television, drinking, visiting the continent for shopping and medical needs, and large lunches eaten between 12 and 2.

The language exchange, which was my attempted "great thing" has suffered attrition. The American students complained they were too busy (2 hours a week away from Facebook is a lot, I know), and the Ecuadorians often skipped out. We'll see if more great things lie in store, but at this point I feel ready to move on in August when my contract expires. Remember, I'm happy! This is just a thought on the feeling.

1 comment:

  1. NICE!
    This article is very nice and it describe not only about the Spanish language but also about the culture.

    ReplyDelete

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.