April 15, 2009

Me entiendes?


At my last school in Vancouver, students who asked Comment ca va? or Nasilsiniz? were sent home. Did I agree with the English-only policy? Yes and no. Yes, because it prevented groups of Saudis and Mexicans and so on from lumping together, and pushed them to mix and become friends in English. No, because it tied my hands in class. 

For example, I say "There is." Nehir looks at me with puppy dog eyes that say, "Translate. Please. Just translate." I want to say var, but instead I give examples, draw pictures, and dance around like a freaking mime. Nehir knows I know the Turkish, so naturally she's frustrated. Plus, we're missing out on the fun of comparing languages (e.g. did you know Turkish has no verb for "to have?"). Surely there's a productive middle ground between this and my terrible 7th grade French class, taught all in English.

Right now, I'm looking for this middle ground in my Level 1 class. Of course, it's handy that they all speak Spanish. I don't worry about discriminating against the Iranian in the corner because I don't speak Spanish and Farsi. Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.