August 9, 2009

Hello Goodbye


My despedida on Thursday night ended at 4:15AM, as I was spooned to sleep by my loving roommate. I had planned a quiet dinner party, but one thing (beers at Bar de Beto) led to another (body shots at Millenium), and who wants to go straight to bed when half a chocolate cake is sitting in the fridge, and biking in the night air is so lovely. I woke up to catch the boat 45 minutes later.

A friend asked what I would miss about the Galapagos, but the realization that I am changing places never strikes me until take-off. Then I pull out a pen and start making lists of things I look forward to in the new place. This is my process. As for the question, I never know what I miss 'til I'm gone.

I can tell you what I miss about Vancouver (big trees, biking home, drinking wine, crossing bridges at sunset), because the distillery of time has poured those elements into a glass for me. I have hunches about the Galapagos miss-list (siestas, wishing hearty buenos diases to the neighbours, yogurt-at-the-tienda days...) but I won't really know for weeks.

In short: Hello, Vancouver! Goodbye, Galapagos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.