January 30, 2009

Cheating: never say never


Jorge is a surfer from the coastal city of Guayaquil, on holiday for a week in the Galapagos. He told me that although Ecuadorian girls try to change their men, and really hope to keep them on track, they accept that their boyfriends and husbands will probably be unfaithful at some point.

"What about you, Jorge?" I asked. "Are you gonna cheat?"

"Mmm... I hope I won't. I'll try not to."

That's ridiculous, I told him. Cheat or don't.

He laughed, and pointed to a glass of water.

"Nunca digas de esta agua no bebere."

Apparently this is the Spanish equivalent of "never say never." Don't say you'll never drink from this glass of water--who knows how thirsty you'll get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.