January 26, 2009

Bienvenidos!

Here it is--my home in the Galapagos for the next eight months. I love the wrought iron bed frame and the yellow curtain. 

This is where I live and teach classes, which makes commuting very straightforward. Sara, the other ESL teacher, lives two rooms down, and so far we have the place to ourselves.

Our front yard is a beach called Playaman (more on the name later), where a harem of sea lions sleeps half the day. We're only a ten-minute walk from town, so the beach is packed on weekends.

And here I am. Smiling, but totally keeping an eye on the sea lion in the water. Everyone says they're harmless, but I'm still wary. One friend was nipped on the leg, and it took 40 days to heal. Tropical weather and all. Let me know if you have sea lion stories or advice.

Buenas noches! And thanks for visiting my blog.

5 comments:

  1. you're hot! i'm excited to follow your adventures :)

    xo

    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being technologically challenged means I have spent half an hour so far trying to figure out how to post.. Once I figure this out I will post more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I managed that. Mary I love your blog and will be following it to hear more about your latest adventures and lifestyle. It is too cold here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I'm so glad to see that you're happy (re: last picture) and the place looks amazing. I hope you're having a great time and enjoying the island life. As for the sea lions... well, I think I've been watching too much Arrested Development, so all I can say is watch out for seals/sea lions that have a yellow bowtie on... Look forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pearl, you're so right! I had totally forgotten about Arrested Development, but that's probably where the fear all started.

    And to Mom and Tracy, gracias for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.