The process of cultural adjustment, which is also known as the U-shaped curve of cultural adjustment, encompasses five distinct stages:
- Stage 1: The feeling of excitement and eagerness. This stage occurs before leaving to go to the new culture.
- Stage 2: The feeling that everything in the new culture is great. This stage occurs upon arrival to the new culture.
- Stage 3: The feeling of everything in the new culture is terrible.
- Stage 4: The feeling of adjustment. The stage where the visitor begins to feel comfortable and takes steps to become more familiar with the culture.
- Stage 5: The feeling that everything is fine. The stage where the visitor has adapted to the culture and in some ways is embracing it as their own.