May 15, 2010

Life in translation

Sixteen hours of Darija down.

(1)
Where's the bus?
Fayn ilkar?

(2)
This is my brother. His name is Andy.
Hada khayi. Ismu Andy.

(3)
Figs
Karmuz

(4)
See you next week.
Nshufak l usbuwå limaji.

(5)
Maria's baby is really cute.
Beybi d Maria drif bzef.

(6)
I need more vocabulary.
Khasni l kelimat ktar.

(7)
We're going to go south, because there are a lot of flowers there.
Ghadi nimshiyu n l janub, Hit kayn bzef d zuhur tima.

(8)
I'll stay here for 10 months in total. For me, that's a long time in one place.
Ghadi nbqa hinaya åashara shuhur f l majmuwå. Lili, hada waqt tawil f waHid l makan.

(9)
I want to swim, but the pool here is closed.
Bghit nåum, walakin bisin hinaya mishdud.

(10)
I want to continue and learn different dialects in different Arab countries. In Canada, maybe I can help new immigrants who speak Arabic. That's the idea.
Bghit nkimil wa ntålam darijat mukhtalifa f l buldan l årabia. F Kanada, yimkin nqdar nsåid muhajirin jdadin li kaytklmu l årabia. Hadi hia l fikra.

(11)
Melodee is doing a Ph.D here, about illiterate women in government.
Melodee katåmal doktora hinaya åla lmara lumia f l Hukuma.

(12)
This is why I like Turkish: I only learned the things I needed...to live, to shop, to talk to people.
Hakda ålesh katåjbni turkia: tålimt ghir l hajat li kanHataj... besh nåysh, nshri, nhdar må nes.

(13)
I'm tired.
Ana åyana.

(14)
I feel bad, because I lived in Saudi Arabia for years and didn't learn more than 10 words of Arabic. I know, it's a real shame. But everyone worked for the same company, and the language of the company was English. 
KanHis qabih, Hit åisht f såudia khilel sanawat wa ma tålmt shi ktar min åashara d l kelimat d l årabia. Kanårif, liasaf shadid. Walakin kulhum khudmu f nefs sharika, wa lugha d sharija kanat l injilizia.

(15)
I go to Turkey every summer.
Kanimshi n turkia kul sayf.

(16)
I feel frustrated, because I'm learning Darija, but I'm not speaking a lot. I feel like if I stop, just for a few days, I'll forget everything.
KanHis bshwiya d inziåj, Hit kantålam darija, walakin ma kanhdar shi bzef. KanHis faHal ida waqaft shwia d l ayam, ghadi ninsa kulshi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.