March 2, 2010

Yes! The drinks ARE under the umbrella!


You have to understand that Turkish-Arabic cognates are the sexiest thing in my life.

Meşrubatlar şemsiyenin altında mı?

This question popped out from my Turkish review book because the first two words were unfamiliar. Something was under something else, based on the word altında. But what were these mysterious somethings? Hold on, now, I said to myself. Isn't "shrob" or "shorb" Arabic for drink? And isn't "shamss" Arabic for sun? I looked at the picture in the Turkish book, the one above the question. The Arabic roots and the Turkish suffixes, plus the handy context clues, all came together in an orgasm of comprehension.

Yes! The drinks ARE under the umbrella!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.