February 13, 2010

Hamamatan


In Arabic, there's singular, there's plural, and there's "two of something."

Hamami = one dove
Hamamatan = two doves

The word appears in Eid Al-Mara, the new song they are learning in Andalusian choir. I have been going for the last two months--the music conservatory is just a few minutes away--but always to listen. Today, though, my friend Iman came over and helped me learn some lines of this new song. Then we walked to choir practice together. At her encouragement, I opened my mouth. Mr. Hisham was surprised. "Bravo."

The music is all in Arabic. I have the lyrics in front of me, and I can read along when the group sings, but I don't trust myself to read fast enough and accurately enough to sing with the Arabic script alone. Having Iman sing slowly, and writing English transliteration, solves the problem. "Avec le temps," as she says, I will get better and more independent. And as I continue learning Arabic, I will understand more words. For now, it's hamamatan and maybe eight others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.