September 20, 2009

Greenpeace expedition


"Marine Reserves Now!" said the sign. I had never seen a Greenpeace ship except on TV, so I sailed over there with the windsurfer. Bob from Scotland invited me aboard. Willie from the Philippines gave me water. Enel from Izmir gave me a full-on tour. The crew was so international and fun. 

The ship, the Rainbow Warrior, just finished two weeks on the Turkish coast as part of their campaign in the Mediterranean. Enel said 85% of the blue fin tuna here have been wiped out by commercial fishing, and no one gives a shit. Well, Greenpeace gives a shit! I wrote an article about the ship's journey for the Turkish Daily News, but I don't know if they will publish it.

The Turkish campaign team will be replaced by the Lebanese team, but the crew members (15 or so) will stay on board until their 3-month volunteer terms end. It made me think about volunteering. The schedule's not bad, and you get to see beautiful places with people from everywhere. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.