May 15, 2009

Shot in the ass


Went to the health clinic at the naval base today.

"My legs have been hurting for a few months."

"No, I'm not running more than usual."

"Yes, I'm drinking enough water."

"Not, not a sharp pain."

"When I lie down, they ache and feel heavy."

The doctor prescribed a vitamin injection, to be taken in the ass cheek. This is their Tylenol, their Aspirin, their salt water gargle--the ass injection is the cure-all of Ecuadorian medicine. When Josefhine had the flu. When David wasn't feeling 100%. When my legs hurt. Shot in the ass. I said I would come back on Monday.

Vitamin deficiency is probably it. Not enough iron in my cow-less and now tofu-less diet. But part of me says it's psychosomatic. Every day, I wear the same bikini under the same bright sun and watch that sun slip into the exact same spot on the watery horizon at the exact same time. The people, the breakfast, the Reggaeton, the slow internet--it's always the same. It's wearing on my health. I need not a shot in the ass but a kick.

1 comment:

  1. Eat lots of legumes (they have lots of iron!!, especially lentils) and mix them with rice or any other carb. for a full protein, you need not a shot in the ass lol

    I have more haemoglobin in my blood than I did before I became vegetarian!...and of course feel way healthier...I dont eat much tofu either

    ReplyDelete

Yay for comments! Nothing mean please, and that means you, Anonymous.